Travel Handbook

Travel Handbook

Per Diem


Travel Money

Misc Expenses

SAAM (OFM) Travel Guidelines

Travel for Convenience

Travel Procedure Guidelines




Glossary of Terms





Air Travel

Shoreline has established a Corporate Travel Account (CTA Account) to be used for purchasing airline and train tickets. Do not make your airline reservations directly with the airline carrier, due to OFM regulations the College CAN NOT reimburse you for airfare.


The Travel office will make airline or train reservations, one of the recommended travel agencies will be able to provide you with the rates for the contracted commercial carriers for your destination, or for the lowest airfare of the airline carrier for your destination.  You will need this information in order to complete the Travel Requisition Form.


Once your Travel Requisition Form has been approved, the SCC Travel Desk will authorize the travel agency to charge the CTA Account and issue the e-tickets.  The Travel Desk will only provide authorization if a signed/approved Travel Requisition Form has been received.  A confirmation of your e-tickets will be sent to you through email or campus mail. 


Top of Page


Car Rental

State of Washington Car Rental Contract


Effective August 1, 2004


Your travel arrangements may require renting a motor vehicle for official state business. The State of Washington has a mandatory contract with Enterprise Rent-A-Car effective October 19, 2009.


This contract is available for travel in the continental United States, including Alaska and Hawaii. Local reservations must be made at least 24 hours in advance, seven (7) calendar days in advance for one-way rentals, mini vans, large SUBs and 12 passenger vans. Contract user will be authorized to use Corporate Account #45WA038 with Shoreline Community College issued identification card. A “user” is defined as an employee of Shoreline Community College.


Book car rental as follows: 

  • Book online at
    • Corporate Account: 45WA038
    • Pin Number: WAS 
  • Call our 24 hour/7days a week Reservation line at 1-800-847-3722.
  • Call the local Enterprise office directly at 206-363-2620


SHORELINE, WA. 98133-6527

  • Go through state approved travel agent (service fee will be charged)

ETI Travel 1-800-678-8202

STA Travel 206-329-4567


The following information will be requested: 

  • Name of Person reserving the vehicle.
  • Phone number and Email address.
  • VISA corporate credit card number or personal credit card number.
  • Location of rental car pick-up (or arrange pick-up).
  • Date/time(s) requiring vehicle.
  • Arriving airline and flight number, estimated time of arrival (if applicable).
  • Car size needed.
  • Location of rental car drop off (if one way).
  • Renter date of birth, address, driver’s license number and expiration.


Pricing includes unlimited miles in most situations, full LDW (liability) insurance coverage, no loss of use charges, no surcharge on drivers 18 years and older.




Vehicle Type









Full Size



SUV (5 Passenger)



SUV (7-8 Passenger)






12 Passenger Van


Shoreline Community College does not allow users to rent the 15 passenger vans due to safety issues and risk.


The state contract includes full insurance coverage; decline the insurance unless you personally want to pay for the accident insurance. The state contract user agrees the rental vehicle will not be used: 

  • Under the influence of alcohol or any prohibited drugs.
  • Personal or illegal purposes.
  • Push or tow another vehicle.
  • Carry passengers or property for hire.
  • By an unlicensed driver, or person other than an authorized driver.
  • Outside the continental United Stated, across international boundaries except whereby specifically authorized by the rental agreement.
  • In test, race or contest.
  • By a driver who allows more passengers to occupy the vehicle than there are seatbelts or who does not require all passengers to comply with applicable seatbelt and child restraint laws.

On returning from your trip, fill out the Travel Expense Voucher (TEV) and attach all original receipts for the costs of the rental. Record the date and purpose of the trip.


Top of Page


Ferry Use

The Washington State Ferry System no longer provides the College with trip tickets.  The traveler will need to pay the fare and be reimbursed once they return and complete a travel expense voucher.  Attach the receipt (s), obtain the proper signatures and forward to the travel desk for processing.


Top of Page


Local Area Vicinity

Local area mileage is defined as day trips within 50 miles of Shoreline Community College.  Use the Travel Expense Voucher to log the miles you drive your own car on official business.  With your supervisor's approval and signature, you may claim mileage reimbursement.  Submit the completed, approved form monthly for reimbursement. 


The official station is normally presumed to be the Shoreline Community College campus. 


Vicinity Travel is mileage within a destination city.  Do not confuse  this with Local Area Mileage which is to be used for claiming mileage reimbursement on a monthly basis for regular day trips when performing official business away from your official work station.


Top of Page



Point-to-point mileage is the distance in miles between the point of departure (your official work station on a normal work day) and your destination, using the vehicle odometer reading, or an official state highway map or chart providing mileage between cities.  To claim reimbursement for mileage, you will need to provide point-to-point mileage and/or vicinity mileage on the Travel Expense Voucher.


Top of Page


Privately Owned Vehicles

Shoreline's employees may use their personal vehicle when conducting official business away from their work station.  It is important that you receive prior approval from your supervisor.  To claim reimbursement for mileage, you will need to complete a Travel Expense Voucher upon return from travel status.  To assist you in computing the mileage,  refer to  or use your odometer reading for recording the exact miles driven. The travel expense voucher form available on the college intranet includes the current remibursement rate and will calculate it for you when you enter the number of miles driven.


You may choose to travel by private car, rather than by airplane to your destination.  If this is approved, your private car mileage is reimbursed at either the current mileage reimbursement rate or at the lowest regular airfare to your destination, whichever is lower.


Top of Page


State Owned Vehicles

It may be more economical to use state-owned vehicles. Shoreline has 2 ten passenger vans that are available through the Safety and Security Office. They are for use by campus personnel by reservation only.


In order to reserve a ten passenger van, you must contact Campus Security at x4633. Their office will require the following three items: 1) a valid Washington Driver's License, 2) proof of insurance, and 3) a driver's abstract that can be obtained at the Dept of Licensing (a cost of $13.00 cash will be required).


 For complete details and more information about the use of state-owned vehicles, please contact Campus Security.


Top of Page


Travel Agencies

The following travel agencies are state-approved travel agencies that have established an Corporate Travel Account CTA (Corporate Travel Account) with Shoreline Community College for making travel arrangements for its employees and students.  PLEASE USE ONE OF THESE AGENCIES WHEN MAKING AIRLINE RESERVATIONS.


Carlson Wagonlit Travel           

Phone: 206-546-5131



Contact: Patti Scudder

Frosch Travel

32020 1st Ave S Ste 101

Federal Way, WA 98003

Phone: (253) 874-6033



Contact: Cindy Ochoa


Lake City Travel

12316 Lake City Way NE

Seattle, WA 98125

Phone: 206-364-0100



Contact: Russ McElroy

Scan East West Travel

100 W Harrison North Tower

Seattle WA 98119

Phone: 206-623-2157

Fax:     206-623-2970



Contact: Barbara Nelson


For further information on travel agency fees go to:


 *  If specialized travel services cannot be accommodated through one of these agencies, other qualified travel agencies may be used, provided prior arrangements have been made through the Travel Office.


Top of Page